Monday, March 31, 2008

Two Moms....One Day

The remains of Matt Maupin were found. A young man from Batavia, Ohio, he was stationed in Iraq when his convoy was attacked and he was taken captive. That was 2004. He was 20 years old. The Maupin family was given the news just yesterday. Yesterday, I went to a college fair with my 17 yr. old son. From there we went to get his tux for the prom. Sunday, March 30, 2008. One mom's day of excitement and fun and thoughts of bright futures, another mom's day of pure and complete devastation. I wonder what Matt's mom was doing while I listened to Andy speak with a rep from OU about applying for their School of Journalism. I wonder what Matt's mom was thinking while I was thinking that I can't believe my child is growing up. I wonder how Matt's mom was able to fall asleep last night, while I was able to succumb to slumber the minute my head hit the pillow. One day. I'm sure that for the past 4 years her only desire was to hear that Matt had been found, that he was alive and well. Who wouldn't hold on to that hope? Now her grim reality is that her son won't be coming home. Ever. One world. Less than 1 hour from where I live. A woman grieves the loss of her son, while I celebrated the life of mine. What a reminder that was for me to hug him a little tighter and laugh with him a little louder.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :o) It's so extremely sad that they found his body. At least they have closure now. I couldn't even imagine. Like you wrote in your post...you've been hugging your boy a little bit tighter...I've been doing the same with Ella!

Renae said...

Beautiful sentiments Sharon. It really makes us appreciate the things we have, the family we have. My prayers are to Matts mom this morning. (((hugs)))

Doug Bagley said...

beautifully said! It does make one stop, think, and ponder, "but for the grace of God go I."

MommaMonkey said...

It seems like every time I turn around someone had just lost a loved one, or received news that a loved one died. Matt Maupin, the two Colerain firefighters, then a co-worker, a family friend, and my best friend have all lost a loved ones in the past week. Makes me squeeze my boy and hubby even tighter every day. And like you, I soak up the moments...