Monday, March 19, 2007

St. Patricks Day and Rites of Passage

Another good St. Patricks Day! Lunch at 12:30 with the husband and kids before heading out for the day with my girls! At Crowleys by 2:30 and didn't walk out till 7:30. We only go there on St. Pat's Day...see our favorite bartender "Tom-dog", drink some beers and share some laughs with our friends from years past, and always meet some new ones! It's just a fun day....lots of laughing! Well, except for the traditional cry between me and my sister over missing our Dad....the man who made us believe that St. Patricks Day is a national holiday! By 7:30 it was down to just me and the sister...we called G. for a ride home...well, not really home, just a bar closer to home. Our personal taxi dropped us off and was on call for when I officially was ready to call it a night...at 1am I threw in the towel and called my man to come get me. I was done. However, I did have him run me through the Chili Time drive thru for a quick cheese coney! I also reminded him of what a good husband he is. He appreciates hearing that!
Needless to say, I was feeling a bit rough yesterday! I let A. drive to his girlfriends house for the first time. It's a 20 minute drive on the highway and I was worried till he was safe at home. I hugged him the minute he walked in the door and said a little prayer of thanks. I was thinking about how when they are little and you take them for walks in their stroller, and then they want to walk , and then they ride their bikes and you tell them to "wait at the corner for me", then you let them ride their bikes to a friends house and "call when you get there"....all those rites of passage...this is just one more. Hard to relinquish the control that comes with each step...but a part of growing up just the same. If I could have one wish, I would wish that I could have 1 week of my kids being 2, 5, and 6 again. When the back yard was as big as their world got. A week of Power Rangers, and Barney, and lunch on top of the jungle gym ,and filling the plastic baby pool, and nap time, and walks to the park. I miss all of that soooo much. I like the young people they're becoming....but I miss my babies! It won't be long and they'll be out with me for the duration on St. Patricks Day...and then G. can come pick us all up, and I'll tell him "you're still a good husband"

4 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

You do have one good hubby. I'm sure he appreciates the acknowledgements, too. Even though you miss when the kids were younger, it sounds like you cherished every moment of it. And don't worry, one day you'll have grandkids to spoil and do it all over again with!

LZ Blogger said...

You are preaching to the CHOIR here! ~ jb///

Renae said...

What wondeful sentiments! I love this post. Have an awesome day!

MommaMonkey said...

Sharon, You've been tagged! See my blog for further directions. (This message will self-destruct in 5..4...3...2...)