Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In A Year

This week is the anniversary of the death of Michael. It was one year ago that Michael went to bed and never woke up. It seems like only yesterday. I still can hear his voice over the phone when calling for Molly. It was always the same "Hello, this is Michael, is Molly there?" The memory of the two of them together is embellished in my brain. I'm sure those visions will wean themselves and not be as vivid...another loss in itself. I see how much Molly has grown in the last year. Taller, thinner, experimenting with makeup, becoming a little more girly..I enjoy watching the transformation. I can't help wondering where Michael would have fit into the picture....but something tells me he would have gone along for the ride, teasing her and all the while being her confidante. They just had that special "thing". Will this loss effect who she becomes as an adult? She still misses him terribly... that's a whole separate entity for which I grieve.
A year has passed and life has gone on, just as I suspected. An earthly life has ended and paths have been altered. It happens every day. There is no disrespect intended in that. But this week in January will forever remind me of how fragile life is. I will think of Michael and remember his face. I will remember the sadness that week brought and I will struggle to find the right words to say to his parents. I will laugh with Molly over the same stories I have heard again and again. I will honor that fact that Michaels leaving us has left us all so much to think about.

3 comments:

Greg Stallworth said...

Sharon, as you delivered this wroting I cried at my computer. Not the cry that one would normally do in sadness but the tears of joy knowing how passionate you are in the love of Michael. Molly is one of the most pleasurable girls I've ever been around. That's why we hit it off so well. She is not only a beautiful and caring girl but she's also the type of person you want to help. Speaking of Michael, when I volunteered at Fernside Center for Grieving Children with adolescents and parents I remember relating on positive memories. Things like positive outings, sport events and other things that would make a person smile in reflection. Michael is looking down on us, arms spread waiting for us to join him in heaven. All he needs you to do is prepare. Again, if there is anything I can do are you have arranged let me know. I know Donna and the family needs us!

Angel said...

well. I don't know who you are or who Michael was, but I feel that sadness in your heart. It came through so well in your words....what can I say to this?....I don't know....

MommaMonkey said...

Sharon I know this week had to be hard for you, Molly, Michael's family, and everyone who was touched by Michael. I wish there was something I could do to make it better for everyone, but just know all year long I've prayed for Michael's family and yours. He will always walk with Molly in her life. He is very much a part of her, and that is something that will never be lost. (((hugs)))