Monday, January 8, 2007

What the F*&#^

Okay, so a 6 yr old called me a "F'n B" today! A 6 year old who refused to give up his coloring and begin his reading assignment. I picked his skinny little butt up and put him right out of the room..his pants were drooping and showing off his Buzz Lightyear boxers. He then went on to tell me that he was going to call his Dad up to come shoot everybody, to which I professionally responded "bring it on!" He also threatened to cut off my electricity so that my TV would go off and my food would get warm AND to call to Rent-A-Center to come get "all your stuff"! You think maybe he's had some personal experience in this area? He also informed me that he wasnt afraid to go to jail because his mom would come down with some money and get him out. Again, something familiar, ya think? Now as amusing as this all sounds, and as amusing as it was at the time, there is some sadness to it. It's sad that a 6 yr old has had those experiences. It's not right that a young child of his age is able to muster up such language. Sad and pitiful and heartbreaking. I look at him and I wonder what his world is like outside of school....his behaviors give me a small clue. So we try to teach him new behaviors, and new words, and try to set him up for success....but there's only so much that these 6 hours a day can impress upon him. There's only so much we can do. Sad.

3 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

OMG, I totally miss being called an F-ing B! And when it's by a six year old...yeah it makes you laugh, but at the same time it makes you want to cry for him because you know that is his life...and how sick and sad that he has experienced those things pretty much all his life. People like you are what gives him hope.

Greg Stallworth said...

You mean this six year old (if mom went term with her pregnancy) has been in the world approximately 1995 days and using words like this? Unbelieveable!! I got a great idea if this situation comes up again with his student. Take away what he craves at school. He really need to feel the pain that is associated with negative behaviors. Also, isolate him and go deep into the origin of his insultive behaviors. Continue to hammer the point of his choice of words is totally not acceptable.

Angel said...

wow...my daughter is doing her student teaching right now at an inner city school, in kindergarten, and having these same experiences. she's so down hearted cuz she wants to work with inner city kids so bad, feels that's what God has called her to do, but she's struggling.

It is so sad in so many ways.....